Thursday, September 2, 2010

Google Part One

What: Today in class we learn about different applications in Google. We learned about google docs, spreadsheets, igoogle, google sites, calendar, etc.
So What: This class was really helpful for me. I know a lot about Google because of my husband (he's an ISYS major), but I've never really explored for myself the different applications. Learning these new things means that I will be able to do many things in a much simpler way. For example, using a google doc is great. I don't have to email things to people for a group project, I can just type it up on google docs and then share it with my teammates. Also, the calendar is a fabulous application because now I can be organized and find my calendar anytime I have a computer.
I think learning these new applications will be very beneficial for my classroom one day. I will be able to have a calendar that parents can check often and refer to if they have any questions. I will also be able to have a google site for my classroom, which parents and students can check as well.
One way this new technology really applies in my everyday life is Matt Jenkins already set up a google doc with everyone's (in our cohort) name, phone number, and email address. Having this information will help with study groups, questions about homework/project, etc.
Now What: If I can be honest, I was really not thrilled at first that so much technology was in the classroom. However, after having some field experience in the elementary schools I have learned that it is such a help. No longer do teachers have to send a million information papers home with the students, just so they can get lost in between school and home, but teachers can have google sites where they post classroom rules, homework/projects/tests, important information or dates, etc. Teachers can also google chat with parents if parents can't make it to the classroom for a "Parent-Teacher Conference." The applications are very convenient.
I think having an understanding of all the google applications is such a great thing when you're a colleague and working with others. Being able to share lesson plans and different project ideas with other colleagues is so beneficial, especially for new teachers. Having other teachers share their knowledge through the google application can be very helpful because of all their insight. When students are old enough I strongly believe that they can find the google calendar extremely helpful, as long as teachers update the calendar regularly.
I am excited to learn all of these new things about Google and am anxious to one day implementing all of the applications into my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment